How do I choose the right pallet truck?
In the pallet truck department you’ll find pallet trucks (naturally), as well as stackers, lift tables and the star of the show – the pallets themselves. But, if you’re looking for a product to help manoeuvre your pallets, where do you start? How do you choose between all the options available?
To help you make your decision, we’ve put together this guide to choosing something that is just right for your business.
- Pallet trucks are a staple product in the business world. They’re ideal for moving pallets. Simple. If your warehouse works almost exclusively with pallets then this is the category you should start with.
- Stackers are, unsurprisingly, designed for stacking. They really take the manual labour out of this taxing task and we dare say have saved a few trips to the chiropractor over the years. Some are perfect for pallets while others have a platform which can be used for other objects.
- Lift tables feature a flat platform which ‘lifts’ up and down, helping staff to load, unload and work at a comfortable height. If you think a lift table might be just what you need, head to this category and find your perfect product.
Now that you’ve narrowed your search to a department, the next thing to decide is whether or not you want a manually operated product.
- Manually operated pallet trucks, stackers and lift tables are good for objects that are not too heavy and/or you won’t use it too often.
- If you’d prefer to save as much manual strain as possible, consider opting for an electrically operated product. You’ll really appreciate ‘going electric’ if you regularly deal with heavy objects as you’ll avoid repetitive strain injuries whilst maximising productivity.
When you come across a product that catches your eye, check out the specifications and make sure the load capacity is up to the task. Your pallet truck will be no good if it can’t carry your heavy pallets.
Be sure to look at the lift height, too. The electric high lift pallet truck for example, is designed to function as a pallet truck but also lift pallets particularly high. If this is on your checklist, make sure you read the details.
Lastly, consider whether storage is an issue. The folding pallet truck is a simple, manual pallet truck which folds neatly away for transport or storage. It has quite a low load capacity but could be just the thing for infrequent use or confined spaces.
Whether you’ve decided that a pallet truck, stacker or lift table would be best for your business, hopefully this little guide has pointed you in the right direction. Browse the full range or get in touch for more advice. We’ll be happy to talk about your requirements and help you find the right product for your needs.