Winter can sometimes be a bit depressing, what with all the dark days and rain! We thought everyone could do with some cheerful thoughts about it, so here are a list of 10 fun and interesting facts about winter.
- The coldest temperature ever recorded was -128 in Antarctica in 1983…. and we complain about the cold weather here in Britain!
- The tallest snowman ever built was in Bethel, Maine in 2008 and measured 122 feet and 1 inch!
- The world record for the largest snowfall in one day was set in the US when Georgetown received 63 inches of snow….. That’s over five feet!!
- Average snowflakes fall at 3.1MPH.
- Ten inches of snow melts down to only one inch of water.
- The largest snowflake recorded was 15 inches wide and 8 inches thick.
- The record for the most snow angels made at one time was set in Canada in 2004. A couple of schools joined to create 15,851 snow angels!
- The biggest hailstone recorded fell in 2010 and was the size of a ball, weighting almost 2 pounds!
- A man named Wim Hof holds the record for running the fastest half marathon bare foot! He completed it in 2 hours, 16 minutes and 34 seconds.
- Chionophobia is a fear of snow.
Recommended read Top 10 Winter Driving Tips »