Millions of sick days are taken by employees each year, and most short term absences are due to viruses such as colds and the flu. This has a huge impact on companies and aside from the obvious loss of work days; it also means a possible loss in sales and a backlog of work.
Here are some helpful ways to keep colds at bay this winter:
- Wash your hands regularly – as we all know, germs are easily spread by people transferring them through touch. Washing your hands is the best way to make sure you get rid of germs, so make sure all bathrooms have plenty hand wash and antibacterial gel.
- Use paper towels to dry your hands – investing in paper towels in your bathroom is a good way to stop the transfer of germs as they are disposable.
- Keep your work area clean and tidy – things like door handles, keyboards, light switches, telephones and work surfaces can harbour viruses, so keep some antibacterial wipes handy.
- Keep warm – this is a big factor in keeping colds and other illness at bay. Shivering depresses the immune system, which makes it easier to catch a cold. Another thing to bare in mind is that we lose 30% of our body head through our heads, so make sure to wear a hat when venturing outside.
- Get plenty of sleep – a lack of sleep can make you more prone to infections, so try to make sure you have an adequate amount each night.
- Keep stress levels as low as possible – if your stress levels are high, you’re body will be less able to fight off infections and viruses. If you are feeling particularly stressed, why not try yoga or breathing exercises to try and reduce it.